Riis Academy, a community-based after-school program, partners with local schools, families and community leaders to provide the best possible services and activities for youth in grades K-12. We offer a supportive, friendly environment where children feel safe to be themselves and make new friends. Riis Academy offers comprehensive services from tutoring and homework help to arts and recreation. Our approach to youth development is based on the simple philosophy that every child can reach his/her greatest potential if given the opportunity to learn and grow in a supportive environment. The overarching goal of Riis Academy is to create a nurturing network of support and services to encourage and motivate students to stay in school, graduate from high school and succeed in post-secondary education, the world of work, and civic life. Riis Academy enhances 1,000 participants’ lives annually through project-based learning, academic activities, and recreation.
- Riis Academy – middle school participants were twice as likely to receive a 3 or 4 on both the ELA and Math New York State Assessment (4 being the highest) than other students.
- Of our 296 elementary school youth, only four (1%) did not matriculate to the next grade.
- The graduation rate of high school seniors enrolled in our program is 82% compared to a local rate of 58%.
- In the past six years, over 1,000 teens have been placed in paid internships at local governmental, non-profit, and for-profit agencies through our Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Our Danish Cultural Exchange Program has allowed 25 students to travel abroad since 2006.