Riis Academy seeks Group Leaders to supervise youth during activities and on field trips, assist in implementation curriculum that encourages the advancement of youth physical, intellectual and social-emotional competence, participate in staff development and parent meetings and maintain a positive working relationship with the entire program/ Riis Academy team. This is a Seasonal position: continuation of position is contingent on funding availability and/ or job performance. Benefits not included.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide direction, supervision and guidance to campers at all times.
- Supervise support staff assigned to your group.
- Maintain strict adherence to policies and procedures at all times.
- Ensure program room and spaces are kept neat and orderly.
- Maintain all required records for your group.
- Engage in outreach activities to ensure attendance and participation.
- Engage in interaction with parents and guardians in a professional, fair and gentle manner.
- Discuss behavior problems and situations with supervisor as they emerge.
- Resolve conflict within your group while seeking assistance from other staff, supervisors and directors when necessary.
- Inspect all facilities, equipment, and supplies and be sure all are locked away securely at the end of each day.
- Participate in staff orientation as well as ongoing development activities.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors/ Two year of college min with some youth services work experience perferred
- HS Diploma/ GED Required with a min of two years of youth services work (summer camp/ afterschool setting) required
- Demonstrated leadership and teambuilding skills
- All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision and values of Riis Settlement, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness to work within a culturally diverse environment.
- A genuine interest and ability to relate with youth and earn their respect
- Maturity, self-control, sound judgment, leadership ability, sense of humor and patience
- Energy, innovation, and initiative
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals
- Able to lead and participate in group activities.
- Must have a commitment to working with youth from a variety of backgrounds, while providing high quality services.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength based and/or youth development perspective.
- Candidate must successfully complete the following: National Sex Offender Registry, NYSDOH Fingerprinting Screening; New York State Clearance Review Background Check; 3 Reference Check; Physical w/ updated TB Test (Fees may apply)
To apply: submit your cover letter, resume & three (3) references to:firstname.lastname@example.org