Group leader Assistants Riis Academy-PS 171 Campus
Riis Academy is seeking dynamic, creative and engaging individuals who enjoy working with children, working in groups and being part of a community. Group Leader Assistants will be responsible for assisting our group leaders and program director with group supervision during program activities and while on trips and assisting with facilitating activities/ lesson plans as well as administrative duties. This is a Seasonal position: continuation of position is contingent on funding availability and/ or job performance. Benefits not included. The Advantage After-school program follows the Department of Education calendar. Part time staff do not work the majority of school holidays.
Statement of Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Current college student preferred
- Recent HS graduate or High school junior/ senior (min. B grade point average)
- A genuine interest and ability to relate with youth and earn their respect
- Maturity, self-control, sound judgment, leadership ability, sense of humor and patience
- Energy, innovation, and initiative
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals
- All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision and values of Riis Settlement, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness to work within a culturally diverse environment.
- Candidate must successfully complete the following: National Sex Offender Registry, NYSDOH Fingerprinting Screening; New York State Clearance Review Background Check; 3 Reference Check; Physical w/ updated TB Test (Fees may apply)
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Provide support to the group leaders on a daily basis in the classrooms and while on field trips
- Responsibilities include participating with children in activities such as sports, art, dance, etc
- Assist with facilitation of various activities during program hours.
- Participate in training and staff development workshops as necessary
- Travel for training required
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
TITLE: Group leader Assistants
DEPARTMENT: Youth Services
LOCATION: Astoria, Queens (PS 171)
REPORTS TO: Program Director
SALARY: $9 per hour
SCHEDULE: Must be available Mon- Fri between 2:30-6pm (Approx. 12- 15 hrs. per wk.)
DATE: Sept 2014- June 2015
To apply: submit your cover letter, resume & three (3) references: email@example.com